Pages

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Perfection


I’m forever searching for that perfect one-pot dinner.

You know, the one meal that can be made easily and contains all the basic elements necessary to please my husband and me?

It has to be healthy. It needs to contain protein, veggies, and a starch. It has to be filling enough to satisfy. Easy to reheat or eat cold. And of course, it has to taste good.

This is easier said than done.

Problem A: I like cheese. And salt. And grease. Essentially anything heavy and bad for you, I like. My husband likes sweets, but other than that he’s a pretty healthy guy. I ask him what he wants for dinner, he says, “Something fresh.”

Problem B: I’m by nature kind of lazy, and I’ve found “one-pot dinners” are very rarely made in one pot. Yes, I know, Crockpots exist, and I love mine. But still, often times there are guidelines like “Brown the meat before placing it in the Crockpot.”

Problem C: I almost always want something else on the side to round it out. I make enchiladas, I want rice and beans. Lasagna? Salad on the side please. Soup? Don’t even get me started.

After years of searching for the perfect dish, I think I’ve found it. The secret? Lentils.

That’s right, lentils. I know, I know, they get kind of a bad rap. There’s nothing particularly sexy about a lentil. When I first told husband what we were having for dinner, he gave me a particularly disgusted look, as if to say, “Lentils? Blech.”

But he was wrong. He even admitted he was wrong (a rare occurrence in this household).

It can easily be made vegetarian by substituting with soy sausage or omitting it altogether. See something you don’t like? Sub it with something different. Need to add cheese to every meal because you have an addiction? A little crumbled goat cheese on top = amazing. The real beauty of this dish is it can truly fit your needs. Just keep the basic outline and get cookin’.

So here it is, friends. Lentils with Sausage and Spinach. YUMM.

Ingredients:
  • 1 package of pre-cooked lentils
  • 1 package or 4-5 links of fully cooked chicken sausage (I used a Mango Habenero)
  • 1 small onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 package of pre-washed spinach
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • Olive oil

In a large pan, heat olive oil. Add chopped onion and minced garlic. Sauté until onions are slightly translucent. Add chopped red pepper and sliced sausage, and cook for a few minutes until heated through. Add spinach to the pan and heat until just wilted. Remove from heat, and add pre-cooked lentils. Season with salt and pepper to taste, or with a little Cajun seasoning if you’re feeling feisty. Mix thoroughly.

That’s it. Seriously. Easy Peasy. Enjoy!

What are some of your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment